The fighting has begun!

Tired of TE douchebaggery? Here ya go.

Moderator: Britney Spears

Re: The fighting has begun!

Postby DSAldridge » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm Done wrote:I just noticed this gem from Alina Bradford in the complaint thread:

People who whine about getting edited have obviously never worked as a professional writer. When your articles are published by newspapers, magazine or even a high quality website your work is ripped to shreds and taped back together by every single person who touches it until it gets to print. Any editing you get here is just a tiny sampling of anything you get anywhere else. Sheesh. Calm down!

ETA: This is not directed at anyone in particular.

She is 100% correct that massive editing occurs on work submitted to many print publications and high quality websites. However, she's missing the overall point of some of the recent forum threads.

First of all, right now, Suite is just about the furthest thing from a quality publisher you can find anywhere. Second, writers aren't complaining that someone is editing their work. They're complaining about several specific things related to the new TEs:

- Many of the TEs have absolutely no qualifications to do any editing at all.
    - In some cases, writers' articles are being edited based upon the personal preferences of TEs, not Suite's published guidelines.
    - CWs are concerned that TEs with less knowledge than they have about certain topics will change valid facts in their articles.
I certainly wouldn't calm down if I had an unqualified person fucking up my articles.

Suite made a huge mistake by dumping qualified editors in favor of promoting writers that lack the same skills (though some TEs do have good editing skills). This could get really ugly if some CWs decide to speak up.

We weren't really allowed to "edit", just correct spelling or slap-u-in-the-face errors. Most of what I edited didn't even have references, just self-promotional links back to their blogs or AC articles. According to Emma, we could "ask" for references, but they aren't required under new guidelines, so we could not require them or take the article offline for not having them. How the fuck are we supposed to check facts without references? They could be copying stuff word for word from a book, and who would know? I quit because I sent something up to my SE, and she said it was harmless and to let it through. It was crap! It looked like two rejected eHow articles mashed together, and I'm pretty sure that's what it was. No references, no real facts, nothing to learn from it at all, just a bunch of crap tossed into a catch-all article that pre-MK, an editor would have made several "suggestions" on at least. I was not even allowed to do that, per an email my SE had gotten from Emma. They just kept throwing the non-guidelines up in our face. My SE basically told me not to send stuff up to her unless it was unreadable,illegal, immoral or egregiously horrible. I was to just patch up the rest and send it through. The email from Emma was because she had complained that the TE's were sending stuff up to her and other editors. They took away our button to bump stuff upstairs, and what the fuck were they doing? There are no new writers, so they weren't editing new articles, that's for sure.

Plus, there was hours of work to be done to fix the sections, and none of that was paid work. Now if you were one of the top earners, still getting a few hundred a month, fine, but I was doing it all for free when I needed to be over at DMS making money. If it hadn't been for Malysa practically running the private forums, we would have really been lost. She was an angel.

No, we are not professional editors, but who doesn't recognize crap when they read it? If you came into Suite when it had real standards, it just made you very angry that you had to let this crap through with YOUR name as editor on it. I had no intention of doing fact checking for 50 cents, believe me. I hardly even read the articles, mostly just skimmed them and checked the inline links.

A HUGE problem was that there were no new articles to edit, so no money to be made, but still hours of work to be done. TE's are the only people writing, and we had to go back sometimes to 2009 to find articles decent enough to feature. Yes, we were begging people to write for us, but everyone wanted quid pro quo, and it was ridiculous having to write an article to get an article in your topic. I featured one new writer, who wrote a beautiful article on orchids, but everything else was from way back, and honestly, most of it was from the former FW's. There were hardly any articles from CW's from 2010, and virtually NONE from 2011. It pissed me off, because I wanted to feature CW's articles. TE's and FW's don't need to be featured, it's the CW's who need appreciation, but there was just nothing.

Without new articles coming in, Suite will die a very quick death. Google has already slashed and burned the old content. No new content means no possibility of recovery at all. Letting anything through just to have new content is meaningless, as it's the same crap that got us into this position. The bickering on the forums was scaring new writers off, that's one reason I kept trying to get everyone calmed down. It was pointless. The same old rabble rousers kept up the same old shit, and nothing was done. The moderators are useless.

So bash the TE's if you want, but we were all committed to making Suite better, and having our commitment squashed at every turn. I don't regret leaving, but I feel sorry for the ones still there. The TE's are really trying to do a good job, and everybody hates them.
DSAldridge

Postby BoredWriter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 am

As a CW I don't hate the TE, apart from a few who are being really obnoxious in the forums. If people don't like how the TE edits their things, they can as well write somewhere else and probably the TE would lose the spot, eventually. It's not like articles can only fit on a single topic most of the time. If my name was prominently featured next to a lot of really bad articles I can do nothing about I'd be feeling quite upset. And using an alias. TE sounds like you actually left those articles there.

Either you are a Topic Editor and you have a right (within limits) to shape your topic, or you aren't a Topic Editor. Wish Suite would understand this. Also, if people don't make money you need to find ways of helping people make money instead of just giving an upfront to some TE and hope they will beg people to write. They could have done aggressive cleanup with the old editors and the help of the FW (who probably know perfectly well what doesn't fit on a topic) and the site would still have some hope. But they fire the paid editors, and create TE that are kinda like affiliates (WE'll pay you if people write on your topic, so make the topic pretty and pray).

On the other hand, this is all about money and content farms are a game of numbers. High quality curated magazine content is expensive to run and needs subscriptions most of the time. Suite doesn't even manage to get their ads right and I KEEP SEEING THE FAT WOMAN NEXT TO MY TECHNICAL ARTICLES!!!
BoredWriter

Postby DSAldridge » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:02 am

BoredWriter wrote:As a CW I don't hate the TE, apart from a few who are being really obnoxious in the forums. If people don't like how the TE edits their things, they can as well write somewhere else and probably the TE would lose the spot, eventually. It's not like articles can only fit on a single topic most of the time. If my name was prominently featured next to a lot of really bad articles I can do nothing about I'd be feeling quite upset. And using an alias. TE sounds like you actually left those articles there.

Either you are a Topic Editor and you have a right (within limits) to shape your topic, or you aren't a Topic Editor. Wish Suite would understand this. Also, if people don't make money you need to find ways of helping people make money instead of just giving an upfront to some TE and hope they will beg people to write. They could have done aggressive cleanup with the old editors and the help of the FW (who probably know perfectly well what doesn't fit on a topic) and the site would still have some hope. But they fire the paid editors, and create TE that are kinda like affiliates (WE'll pay you if people write on your topic, so make the topic pretty and pray).

On the other hand, this is all about money and content farms are a game of numbers. High quality curated magazine content is expensive to run and needs subscriptions most of the time. Suite doesn't even manage to get their ads right and I KEEP SEEING THE FAT WOMAN NEXT TO MY TECHNICAL ARTICLES!!!

I don't think they have any money. In MK's email to me he mentioned operating on precious few resources, so I believe that Suite is basically going broke. No investor is going to put money into it, so all the money is now going to the development of the new site, and Suite is operating on what it makes on ad revenue, which is nothing. I believe that the difference between letting a writer who has left take down their articles or not depends on whether they are earning money. My articles made nothing, and I was allowed to take them down, but Tricia's wedding planning content is ad revenue gold, so they will be hard pressed to let her have it back. The only way to get content back that is earning is to make such a fuss that they will remove it. Luckily, I did not have to do that, but I think they saw the potential for me to do so, so they let me have it back.
DSAldridge

Postby mostprobablies » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:27 am

They let mine sit for a while and generate revenue. I was still in the top 100 even after being banned and not uploading an article since February. I figured someone bitched and they took my stuff down for appearances. They might do the same with Tricia. I don't know where she was at in the earnings and PVs, but as she loses positioning, they might take her stuff down in a few months.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby wannashootsomebody » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:33 pm

They took yours down right after the FW blogs got scraped and put up on a site that looked just like Suite101. They were there one day, then the blog appeared, then they were gone. I think you're right that someone complained that they were still up after that. Probably a lot of somebodies. I know there was a LOOOOOONG forum thread about it at the time, but I didn't read it all. I just laughed.
wannashootsomebody

Postby mostprobablies » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 pm

wannashootsomebody wrote:They took yours down right after the FW blogs got scraped and put up on a site that looked just like Suite101. They were there one day, then the blog appeared, then they were gone. I think you're right that someone complained that they were still up after that. Probably a lot of somebodies. I know there was a LOOOOOONG forum thread about it at the time, but I didn't read it all. I just laughed.

LOL!! That's funny. I never saw that thread. Suite101 was a science. You could make money there, but you had to play with stuff and you needed the right section. Not all editors would let you play with articles enough to figure stuff out. Guy was tough, but once you started making money, he left you alone. He drove me crazy for a while. lol

I'm sure people complained. I think I was still in the top 100 in April. The sad part about it was that I was in the top 100 but only had 40k (I think?) PVs. Pathetic.

No editor ever hounded me about SEO, but SEO had a lot to do with making money on Suite. I only got flagged for SEO stuff once, and it was a suggestion.

BTW, that Suite101 clone was not me, even though people said it was me. lol It was funny, though.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Previous

Return to TEs - Give them hell