The fighting has begun!

Tired of TE douchebaggery? Here ya go.

Moderator: Britney Spears

The fighting has begun!

Postby wannashootsomebody » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:46 pm

The CW's are bitching because TE's are changing stuff in their articles, TE's are pissed off because they want more quality control, and staff is telling them that they cannot use personal preferences to edit articles. Don't ask me how I know this, but I'm just saying that at least one TE is ready to quit because of being forced to allow sub-standard crap on the front page. Of course, the suckup sheeple are saying "Oh, it's in the guidelines, we have to allow it." I hate sheeple. Have you ever smelled a sheep? Honestly, they stink big time.

Don't have time to post quotes right now. Must go write for money. Here's the thread for those of you who can read it.

http://www.suite101.com/pages/posts.cfm?t=21414&sr=1
Last edited by wannashootsomebody on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wannashootsomebody

Re: They fighting has begun!

Postby I'm Done » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

I know about 2 TEs that have already quit due to quality issues. There should be more joining that club soon.

Back in their FW days, I remember some of these newly-minted TEs complained when editors made changes to their articles and the original was within Suite's guidelines. Now, as Topic Editors, they are doing exactly the same thing to CWs and attempting to validate their actions by saying they're trying to keep their topics consistent. I know I wouldn't want my work changed based only upon a Suite editor's personal preference.

TEs, wake the fuck up!. There is no standard "voice" for Suite articles. We're not talking about National Geographic Magazine here. Everything is based on very loose guidelines. There have always been complaints about inconsistent editing at Suite and now, with TEs trying to exert power over their little fiefdoms, the editing is going to get much more inconsistent.

Here's a newsflash ... this is not difficult. First, accept the fact that Suite's guidelines are loose and not very comprehensive. If an article fits Suite's guidelines, it fits their guidelines. Move on. End of story. If you don't like working within Suite's shitty guidelines, give up your stupid TE position and move on to something better. For 50 cents per article, I don't even know why you're bothering to make some of those ridiculous changes (e.g. changing non-title case in subheadings to title case ... non-title case is not against the guidelines).

I'm keeping my eye on that thread. Damn, where's my popcorn? :lol:
I'm Done

Re: The fighting has begun!

Postby wannashootsomebody » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 pm

I think the problem is, the old-timers recognize what Michael Kedda and the other newbie PTB do not. When Suite had strict standards, it was well respected and made a bunch of money. Now it has no standards and is getting slammed by Google. They need to bring the standards back, but they don't care. As it is now, it's a cluster fuck. My friend told me she put in 3 hours at Suite today, and did not make one cent. It was all time spent setting up her topic features and shit. She's about ready to quit, but is going to give it a few more weeks, because MK just told them that new "rules" are on the way, and she wants to see what they are before she tells them to shove it up their ass. Plus, I think she may want to be a spy for MPS, but don't quote me on that. I'm working on her.

I have kettle corn...want some?
wannashootsomebody

Postby I'm Done » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:16 am

wannashootsomebody wrote:... MK just told them that new "rules" are on the way ...

This is a huge part of the problem. Everyone is confused because they know not all the rules are in place yet. Suite keeps trying to implement things a little bit at a time. That never works. Stop trying to make writers happy by implementing changes in a half-assed manner. Develop a well-thought out plan as quickly as possible, state all the rules and implement. Shit, it's been 5 months since the original Panda and they still can't come up with a solid plan and full list of rules. :?
I'm Done

Postby hopeful » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:34 am

I don't think they ever will. They are in a constant state of flux. Kind of surprised that Kedda is still there.
Suite101.com ~ Everything you never wanted to know :P
hopeful

Postby mostprobablies » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 am

wannashootsomebody wrote:The CW's are bitching because TE's are changing stuff in their articles, TE's are pissed off because they want more quality control, and staff is telling them that they cannot use personal preferences to edit articles. Don't ask me how I know this, but I'm just saying that at least one TE is ready to quit because of being forced to allow sub-standard crap on the front page. Of course, the suckup sheeple are saying "Oh, it's in the guidelines, we have to allow it." I hate sheeple. Have you ever smelled a sheep? Honestly, they stink big time.

Don't have time to post quotes right now. Must go write for money. Here's the thread for those of you who can read it.

Why the fuck are TEs surprised? Everyone knew that the poor editors were forced per Suite101 staff to allow stuff through...anything. Why are TEs surprised that it's any different for them?
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby wannashootsomebody » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm Done wrote:
wannashootsomebody wrote:... MK just told them that new "rules" are on the way ...

This is a huge part of the problem. Everyone is confused because they know not all the rules are in place yet. Suite keeps trying to implement things a little bit at a time. That never works. Stop trying to make writers happy by implementing changes in a half-assed manner. Develop a well-thought out plan as quickly as possible, state all the rules and implement. Shit, it's been 5 months since the original Panda and they still can't come up with a solid plan and full list of rules. :?

Exactly. It's all bullshit. They are just stringing people along, hoping they don't see that the Emperor has no clothes. Unfortunately, once they get behind the curtain, they find out the truth. Kedda would be gone if they could get anyone else to take his position, but no one wants it. He's the worst internet site manager I've ever seen...well, maybe equal to Jason Calacanis, who is just a narcissistic asshole. Kedda just seems to be incompetent, can't make a friggin' decision on anything without everyone's approval. Then there is Peter Berger, so thinks his shit doesn't stink. They are all pitiful, and I'm sure the staff and editors who were let go are glad to be out of there. They are all very talented, and shouldn't have any trouble finding new positions and thriving in them.
wannashootsomebody

Postby wannashootsomebody » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:21 pm

mostprobablies wrote:
wannashootsomebody wrote:The CW's are bitching because TE's are changing stuff in their articles, TE's are pissed off because they want more quality control, and staff is telling them that they cannot use personal preferences to edit articles. Don't ask me how I know this, but I'm just saying that at least one TE is ready to quit because of being forced to allow sub-standard crap on the front page. Of course, the suckup sheeple are saying "Oh, it's in the guidelines, we have to allow it." I hate sheeple. Have you ever smelled a sheep? Honestly, they stink big time.

Why the fuck are TEs surprised? Everyone knew that the poor editors were forced per Suite101 staff to allow stuff through...anything. Why are TEs surprised that it's any different for them?

Because they thought that after everything that has happened that the idiots would have learned something. Obviously, the learning curve is too steep for them. What's to learn? You let crappy content in --> the site tanked --> Peter Berger put us on Matt Cutt's shit list = Death of Suite. Stupid fuckers.
wannashootsomebody

Postby mostprobablies » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 pm

I was just reading the complaint thread. It's all TEs all over the forum. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Maybe Suite was just trying to keep the old-time writers passive for a while longer. No one is writing except the TEs though, and I can't believe Suite would actually let people scam the system by allowing TEs to set up a ring where they write in a section just so another TE can get their fifty cents. I would not be surprised if they cut that option out, because it's technically scamming the system.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby I'm Done » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:56 pm

I just noticed this gem from Alina Bradford in the complaint thread:

People who whine about getting edited have obviously never worked as a professional writer. When your articles are published by newspapers, magazine or even a high quality website your work is ripped to shreds and taped back together by every single person who touches it until it gets to print. Any editing you get here is just a tiny sampling of anything you get anywhere else. Sheesh. Calm down!

ETA: This is not directed at anyone in particular.

She is 100% correct that massive editing occurs on work submitted to many print publications and high quality websites. However, she's missing the overall point of some of the recent forum threads.

First of all, right now, Suite is just about the furthest thing from a quality publisher you can find anywhere. Second, writers aren't complaining that someone is editing their work. They're complaining about several specific things related to the new TEs:

- Many of the TEs have absolutely no qualifications to do any editing at all.
    - In some cases, writers' articles are being edited based upon the personal preferences of TEs, not Suite's published guidelines.
    - CWs are concerned that TEs with less knowledge than they have about certain topics will change valid facts in their articles.
I certainly wouldn't calm down if I had an unqualified person fucking up my articles.

Suite made a huge mistake by dumping qualified editors in favor of promoting writers that lack the same skills (though some TEs do have good editing skills). This could get really ugly if some CWs decide to speak up.
I'm Done

Next

Return to TEs - Give them hell