CW Calls Out TE (not by name)

Tired of TE douchebaggery? Here ya go.

Moderator: Britney Spears

Re: CW Calls Out TE (not by name)

Postby hopeful » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Kiuka Finnegan wrote:
hopeful wrote:Well, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that Hutch is an idiot. :P

But isn't that just your own subjective opinion??? I mean, the idea that Hutch is an idiot is as open to interpretation as the idea that Alaska is in South America, or that Africa is a country! :lol:

Yes, you're right. That is my subjective opinion. LOL
Suite101.com ~ Everything you never wanted to know :P
hopeful

Postby raggedyann » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:49 pm

I have written many travel articles over the years. 99.999999% of them have been about the region in which I live. Because I know it. I live it. I don't even know if traveling to a location once or twice makes you qualified to write about it. I'm working on some pieces right now for print on a community thirty minutes from me. I have already spent five days there, interviewing, in the historical society office, the library. One whole day I just walked around and talked to shopowners. I took my family there yesterday to a local restaurant for a meal and sightseeing. I still have a few more days to go. I am not tooting my own horn. I just am horrified to provide misleading information to a reader. I want the reader to trust me.

Besides, it is so simple to make sure something is still in business. You go to their website, you call them on the phone.

Suite's standards are ridiculous and these people have no business being a topic editor.

I just have one question that truly confuses me and makes me ill. I saw that Jill Browne is also being called a topic editor. Surely to goodness someone of her calibur deserves a better title than the same as these incompetent posers!~
raggedyann

Postby hopeful » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:35 pm

I noticed in my previous topic that the editor is considered a topic editor, so it's not just Jill. Just another horrible decision by TPTB. Ho Hum...
Suite101.com ~ Everything you never wanted to know :P
hopeful

Postby wannashootsomebody » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Kiuka Finnegan wrote:That is exactly the sort of thing that is going to make us run to our popcorn poppers on a regular basis. Suite is appointing TEs without any sort of vetting process. Theoretically, TEs are supposed to be able to edit other writers' articles AND judge them for factual accuracy. That means that TEs are supposed to be editors and topic experts (or at least very knowledgeable about the topic they are tied to, or willing to do tons of research for $0.50 *lulz*).

So, only a couple of weeks into this experiment, we've got a writer calling out a TE who has published hundreds of articles in his topic, many of them riddled with factual inaccuracies. Now, visualize what is going to happen when that same TE tries to correct the work of a writer who knows the topic inside and out (like, say, the poster in that thread). *fireworks!* *explosions!* :lol:

mmmm...POPCORN! I have mango-peach green tea and ice cream sandwiches if anyone is interested.

And yes, Hutch is just what he is, and you have to consider the source. Sometimes the arrogance shows through the humor, though.
wannashootsomebody

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:34 pm

I noticed in my previous topic that the editor is considered a topic editor, so it's not just Jill. Just another horrible decision by TPTB. Ho Hum...

I think some of the editors are filling TE spots until TPTB get around to naming TEs for those spots.

I have mango-peach green tea and ice cream sandwiches if anyone is interested.

Yes, please!!
Kiuka Finnegan

Postby wannashootsomebody » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Kiuka Finnegan wrote:

I think some of the editors are filling TE spots until TPTB get around to naming TEs for those spots.

I have mango-peach green tea and ice cream sandwiches if anyone is interested.

Yes, please!!

Yes, editors are filling in. I know because out of curiosity I looked to see which spots were open. One had an editor listed as TE, but it is listed on the drop-down on the application was open. You know, I'm thinking if you could get several TE positions and an FW position in a good topic, you might be able to do this full-time, that is IF you could put up with the BS.
wannashootsomebody

Postby BoredWriter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:26 am

Kiuka Finnegan wrote:And in comes Hutch, suggesting that the idea of what is or is not an "error" is a matter of interpretation:

That thread made me chuckle, specially the bit about interpretation. I hope that TE was dealt with somehow. Was depressing as hell.
BoredWriter

Previous

Return to TEs - Give them hell