CW Calls Out TE (not by name)

Tired of TE douchebaggery? Here ya go.

Moderator: Britney Spears

CW Calls Out TE (not by name)

Postby I'm Done » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:40 am

This is fuckin' hilarious. A CW I never heard of before (he wrote on Suite between Feb and Aug 2010) has indirectly called out a TE for writing at least 10 articles containing factually incorrect information. :lol: :lol: For those with access, the thread is at:

http://www.suite101.com/pages/posts.cfm?t=21303

For those without access, here's his post:
Nicolas Henrion wrote: Hi,

Just a quick question:

Aren't all articles written by topic editors supposed to be factually correct?

I don't want to start pointing fingers here, but I happen to know a particular country very well and I have found at least ten different articles written by a topic editor which are just plain factually incorrect. And I am not talking about slight mistakes, I am talking here about cities placed in the wrong area of the country, establishments that are referenced even though they closed at least ten years ago, and many more mistakes.

If Suite101 wants to regain Google's favors, it can only do so by providing readers with quality content.

Sorry for the rant, but I am just baffled.

I knew it wouldn't take long for this to happen. Those fucking power hungry TEs are going to get what they deserve (I'm not saying this particular TE has been one of them). Those TEs were so quick to assert their "authority" they forgot CWs and FWs might comb through their articles and call them out for their own glaring mistakes. :lol: :twisted:

Once again, Suite looks beyond fucking stupid for moving people into Topic Editor positions without doing any type of qualification check. How difficult is it to review articles an applicant has on your own damn website? Maybe that's an impossible task when your site is overrun with crap.

I conducted a quick check and think I have identified the TE in question. All I'm gonna say is the writer has over 300 articles on Suite and the problematic ones were most likely written within the last 6-12 months.
I'm Done

Re: CW Calls Out TE (not by name)

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:17 am

That is exactly the sort of thing that is going to make us run to our popcorn poppers on a regular basis. Suite is appointing TEs without any sort of vetting process. Theoretically, TEs are supposed to be able to edit other writers' articles AND judge them for factual accuracy. That means that TEs are supposed to be editors and topic experts (or at least very knowledgeable about the topic they are tied to, or willing to do tons of research for $0.50 *lulz*).

So, only a couple of weeks into this experiment, we've got a writer calling out a TE who has published hundreds of articles in his topic, many of them riddled with factual inaccuracies. Now, visualize what is going to happen when that same TE tries to correct the work of a writer who knows the topic inside and out (like, say, the poster in that thread). *fireworks!* *explosions!* :lol:
Kiuka Finnegan

Postby mostprobablies » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:48 am

And the fun begins...

Everyone is telling him to flag the articles, but then this was brought up

I'm not sure that flagging an article like this would help. Don't flags go to the Topic Editors?

LOL!!!! Oh, it's just too too funny. /popcorn from the stands
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby mostprobablies » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:51 am

OOOH, I think I know the TE too. It's the editor for where he lives and she writes on locations in that area. 362 articles.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby I'm Done » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:04 am

mostprobablies wrote:OOOH, I think I know the TE too. It's the editor for where he lives and she writes on locations in that area. 362 articles.

Yep, that's the one!
I'm Done

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:59 am

And in comes Hutch, suggesting that the idea of what is or is not an "error" is a matter of interpretation:

Just a point. Even "major" geographical errors are subject to question. Many people on the forums get, um, excited about whether Turkey is in Asia, the mid east, or needs it's own area. Lots of discussions on where US States are (is Ohio in the Mid East or Mid west?)

Errors are errors, not.

Hutch

And THAT is how writers who call out TEs are going to be slapped down.
Kiuka Finnegan

Postby hopeful » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:14 am

Well, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that Hutch is an idiot. :P
Suite101.com ~ Everything you never wanted to know :P
hopeful

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:22 am

hopeful wrote:Well, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that Hutch is an idiot. :P

But isn't that just your own subjective opinion??? I mean, the idea that Hutch is an idiot is as open to interpretation as the idea that Alaska is in South America, or that Africa is a country! :lol:
Kiuka Finnegan

Postby I'm Done » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:14 am

Kiuka Finnegan wrote:And in comes Hutch, suggesting that the idea of what is or is not an "error" is a matter of interpretation:

Just a point. Even "major" geographical errors are subject to question. Many people on the forums get, um, excited about whether Turkey is in Asia, the mid east, or needs it's own area. Lots of discussions on where US States are (is Ohio in the Mid East or Mid west?)

Errors are errors, not.

Hutch

And THAT is how writers who call out TEs are going to be slapped down.

Geographic location may be subject to interpretation, but you can't use that as an excuse for
... establishments that are referenced even though they closed at least ten years ago ...

That indicates the writer's lack of ability to research and is just plain fucking stupid! There's no way to misinterpret that.
I'm Done

Postby mostprobablies » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:42 am

She's probably just rewriting others' content. That's part of why Suite got slammed by Google.

I believe it was Karen who said that she strongly disagrees with any FW being in charge of a section of Suite where they haven't visited or haven't been to recently. She probably took a trip there once and called herself an expert. lol POOF she's an editor now. Niiiiiice.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Next

Return to TEs - Give them hell