TE Positions Open to Everyone

Tired of TE douchebaggery? Here ya go.

Moderator: Britney Spears

TE Positions Open to Everyone

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:29 pm

They have now opened the TE positions to all CWs and FWs. How selective do you think they'll be?

Unlike with the FW** positions, there do not seem to be any criteria. (Of course, I haven't read everything that has been posted about this TE phenom, so I might have missed something.)

**And the requirements for the FW positions are pretty low.
Kiuka Finnegan

Re: TE Positions Open to Everyone

Postby wannashootsomebody » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm sure they have figured out with all the TE's and FW's now quitting, and many FW's not applying at all, that they will not be able to get enough from the FW pool. I don't see one person with an FW tag only. Darla Sue got to be an FW and they immediately asked her to be a TE. They'll have a problem filling those positions at .50 an article. I think what will happen is that a lot of crap stuff will just be passed through, just like the CE's at DMS do, because they're paid so little to edit them.

I don't know, some of the CW's may apply just to get into that private forum and see what's what. Do TE's have to write? I haven't seen anything about that. Since CW's don't have a quota, one could just be a TE and never write a thing.
wannashootsomebody

Postby I'm Done » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:30 am

Kiuka Finnegan wrote:They have now opened the TE positions to all CWs and FWs. How selective do you think they'll be?

They haven't been selective so far and I don't see that changing any time soon. At first, it seemed the only qualification was being an existing FW that wanted to move into a TE position. Now that it's opened up to everybody and you can see the application form, it is obvious applicants need no editing experience at all.

wannashootsomebody wrote:They'll have a problem filling those positions at .50 an article. I think what will happen is that a lot of crap stuff will just be passed through, just like the CE's at DMS do, because they're paid so little to edit them.

In the forums, it sounds like TEs get paid 50 cents per article submitted to their topics. That pay is based on articles submitted, not articles edited. I've been wondering if TEs can get paid the extra 50 cents per article in their topics without ever even looking at those articles.
I'm Done

Postby wannashootsomebody » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:54 am

In the forums, it sounds like TEs get paid 50 cents per article submitted to their topics. That pay is based on articles submitted, not articles edited. I've been wondering if TEs can get paid the extra 50 cents per article in their topics without ever even looking at those articles.

They'll probably have to approve the article before it is published, or pass it upstairs. I don't see Suite giving away anything for free.
wannashootsomebody

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:05 am

And there are CWs jumping up and down because they want to be Topic Editors for more than one topic! *face palm*

So, let's review some of the problems with the whole scenario:

1. In spite of some ostensible changes, all articles still go live when the writer hits "publish." Articles get indexed by Google before they're reviewed and edited. The folly of this has been pointed out in other threads here.

2. Professional editors have been let go to make way for so-called "Topic Editors," people who may or may not (and for the most part probably do not) have any editing experience.

3. TEs will be charged with the responsibility (at a whopping $0.50 a pop) with not only editing writers' articles, but also checking for general factual accuracy. Nevertheless, there does not seem to be any requirement that TEs have any topic expertise. Of course, Suite has never required that articles be reviewed for factual accuracy before, so this is not really a change in business as usual. But it also doesn't improve anything, and can certainly lead to many a sh*t storm when an unqualified TE tries to "correct" a true expert's work.

I've probably just scratched the surface, but these are the most glaring problems I see at this point. It sort of makes me wonder what they're planning with the new site.

Meanwhile, I might just stop over and apply to be Topic Editor in a topic I know absolutely nothing about and have never written in (Saltwater Fishing, anyone?) just to see what happens. :twisted:

ETA: I'm not saying all TEs will be unqualified to review articles in their section for factual accuracy, and I'm sure at least a few TEs will actually be experts in their topics. But it doesn't seem to be a requirement, and that is a problem because it means that a fair number of people will not be knowledgeable enough to speak to the factual accuracy of articles written for their sections.
Kiuka Finnegan

Postby mostprobablies » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:47 am

FWs still get their 30% though, right? The TE thing is playing on power. Back when Suite101 made money, I'm sure it could be somewhat lucrative in places like tech and finance, because those sections got a boatload of content submissions. Suite used to have hundreds of articles submitted a day. Last time I checked (maybe about 2 months ago), they get maybe a fourth of it now. Last count I did was maybe 50 article submissions on the recently published list. I looked at yesterday's list. I used to get tired of scrolling when looking at published articles. Now, there's maybe 50 there? If we consider that a really popular area gets a third of that (which is being realllllly generous), the TE gets not even $10 a day and has to spend time editing for ~15 articles. Then, they have the headache of fixing really bad work or disabling it. Both ways, they have to communicate with the writer, explain why they are disabling, yadda yadda. And you know they are getting much less than that...maybe a few articles a day, so $2-$5 for an hour's work and all the headaches of being an editor). At least with a FW title, you can just collect your 30% and now you can write anywhere.

I've considered using my second account to get into the TE stuff, just so I can post on here. lol I dunno..the pay is just so bad at Suite101. I just think there is so many better things I can do for money than waste time making 3 cents for the day. I was actually going to try to hack the editor section for shits and giggles before they took it down, but they moved it. I dunno...maybe I'll still toy with it. I don't have the time I used to when I worked in corporate. I used to do all the fun stuff on the weekends. Now, I am a slave to the money machine.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:24 am

Yes, FWs still get the bonuses. This is from the application:

1.Money: Feature Writers with fewer than 100 articles to their credit will receive a 20% bonus above the standard fixed base revenue share; FWs with between 100 and 300 articles will receive a 30% bonus; FWs with 300 articles or more will receive a 40% bonus.

All things considered, it seems like it would be a much better deal to be a FW than a TE, assuming the writer had more than 100 articles posted.
Kiuka Finnegan

Postby wannashootsomebody » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:22 pm

mostprobablies wrote:FWs still get their 30% though, right? The TE thing is playing on power. Back when Suite101 made money, I'm sure it could be somewhat lucrative in places like tech and finance, because those sections got a boatload of content submissions. Suite used to have hundreds of articles submitted a day. Last time I checked (maybe about 2 months ago), they get maybe a fourth of it now. Last count I did was maybe 50 article submissions on the recently published list. I looked at yesterday's list. I used to get tired of scrolling when looking at published articles. Now, there's maybe 50 there? If we consider that a really popular area gets a third of that (which is being realllllly generous), the TE gets not even $10 a day and has to spend time editing for ~15 articles. Then, they have the headache of fixing really bad work or disabling it. Both ways, they have to communicate with the writer, explain why they are disabling, yadda yadda. And you know they are getting much less than that...maybe a few articles a day, so $2-$5 for an hour's work and all the headaches of being an editor). At least with a FW title, you can just collect your 30% and now you can write anywhere.

I've considered using my second account to get into the TE stuff, just so I can post on here. lol I dunno..the pay is just so bad at Suite101. I just think there is so many better things I can do for money than waste time making 3 cents for the day. I was actually going to try to hack the editor section for shits and giggles before they took it down, but they moved it. I dunno...maybe I'll still toy with it. I don't have the time I used to when I worked in corporate. I used to do all the fun stuff on the weekends. Now, I am a slave to the money machine.

But TE's also get a cut of everything from their topic homepage and all category homepages, so that's something.
wannashootsomebody

Postby wannashootsomebody » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Also, I was just thinking that the TE's who ARE knowledgeable in their topic will probably get to know which writers they can just slide through by name, so every article won't need work. That's .50 for nothing. For example, I know several of the FW/TE's in my main topic, so they'll just give my stuff a quick glance and let it go through. After a few, they probably won't even give it a quick look...just publish it. If, indeed, all articles get published THEN edited (which I don't think is the case anymore with TE's on the job), they will only look for writers they DON'T know and edit those. Once you get your writers trained, the job will be a cinch and you'll only have to edit new writers.

JMHO.
wannashootsomebody

Return to TEs - Give them hell