Talk about the douchebaggery

Tired of TE douchebaggery? Here ya go.

Moderator: Britney Spears

Re: Talk about the douchebaggery

Postby mostprobablies » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:09 am

Suite used to be a good place to write. Around 2009, they started letting everyone in and there were some rumblings in the forums. In 2010, they opened the floodgates and the most probablies hit them hard. It went from a quality site to total shit in about a year.

A lot of the old timers bitched about it, but Suite flipped their focus from quality to whatever the hell you want as long as you publish it. Now, we're seeing the effects of it. I made good money there, but my income was about 1/4 of what it was before Panda. Every content farm did something except Suite. Suite just made promises, and even now, they were supposed to create this new domain, but it's been a few months. It might just be that funds are running out, but who knows.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby BoredWriter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:21 am

I was one of the idiots who joined Suite this year because of its past reputation. After Helium "anything goes" burnout I was hoping for actually good quality neighbours, working with editors, etc... Even learning as a writer because I think good editors help with that, there's always things you write that could be written better.

So I know all about reputation! I just wish I had just joined a month later, after Panda struck.
BoredWriter

Postby DSAldridge » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:17 am

BoredWriter wrote:I was one of the idiots who joined Suite this year because of its past reputation. After Helium "anything goes" burnout I was hoping for actually good quality neighbours, working with editors, etc... Even learning as a writer because I think good editors help with that, there's always things you write that could be written better.

So I know all about reputation! I just wish I had just joined a month later, after Panda struck.

You'll be fine. We will all be fine. Soon, Suite will probably be gone and this will be a dead skunk in the road in our rear view mirror. :D
DSAldridge

Postby BoredWriter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:24 am

DSAldridge wrote:
BoredWriter wrote:I was one of the idiots who joined Suite this year because of its past reputation. After Helium "anything goes" burnout I was hoping for actually good quality neighbours, working with editors, etc... Even learning as a writer because I think good editors help with that, there's always things you write that could be written better.

You'll be fine. We will all be fine. Soon, Suite will probably be gone and this will be a dead skunk in the road in our rear view mirror. :D

It seems to be an agonising skunk that is stuck to the car and refuses to die.
BoredWriter

Postby wannashootsomebody » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:07 pm

BoredWriter wrote:Hello,

I just wanted to ask a question that I cannot ask on Suite because I'll be banned or worse...

What motivation do I have to write an article if the only one who is going to make money off it is the TE (who gets at least $0.5)?

Maybe somebody can help. I keep hearing things about writing for Suite bringing you untold riches and invitations to exclusive parties but considering the trending topics are Zodiac Signs and Pet care I don't think my audience likes Suite very much.

Also, while I'm on it...
Why TE are allowed to select Featured articles for the home page that have horrible, pixelated and wrong pictures? Can't they change the template to use smaller pictures since there's not enough quality articles with quality pictures to be featured?

Thanks everybody for the rant.

From what Deb says, the picture thing is because the image editor TE's have doesn't work properly, and while a picture may look good in the editor, it looks like crap in the feature page. Plus, I read on the forums that the pics have to be at least 500 pxs. wide, and many of the older articles had tiny pictures due to the tiny size on the articles.

On the motivation thing...good point. You working to make people who aren't really allowed to edit more money than you will likely make in a year. No wonder there are no CW's anymore. My audience HATES Suite, if you judge by my measly $2.37 I've earned this month.

Here's the kicker. I have fewer articles on AC on the exact same topic and I still make $5-7 a month on rev share there -- last month, one got featured on the front page and I made $9. I always thought AC was considered the lowest of the low, but evidently not anymore.
wannashootsomebody

Postby hopeful » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am

I definitely don't make much on AC. How many articles do you have there? I have less than 10 and only got paid up front for one of them ($3.50). :)
Suite101.com ~ Everything you never wanted to know :P
hopeful

Postby DSAldridge » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:48 am

hopeful wrote:I definitely don't make much on AC. How many articles do you have there? I have less than 10 and only got paid up front for one of them ($3.50). :)

I have 63, and I got paid upfront for all of them. Not much, about $3-5 each, sometimes less, but I'm up to clout 8, so I get $1.60/thousand guaranteed and I get about 3,000 hits a month. It fluctuates. I want to do more health and fitness and finance, because they are more evergreen.
DSAldridge

Postby mostprobablies » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:00 pm

AC is good for a change. I was a FW for a while, but I didn't apply when they made the changes. I haven't logged in since they went to yahoo, and I need to do that. You stop getting paid if you don't log in after a while. I know a few Suite101 people did well at AC, though.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby DSAldridge » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:39 pm

mostprobablies wrote:AC is good for a change. I was a FW for a while, but I didn't apply when they made the changes. I haven't logged in since they went to yahoo, and I need to do that. You stop getting paid if you don't log in after a while. I know a few Suite101 people did well at AC, though.

The good thing about AC is that you can knock out articles in little or no time. There are people over there who claim to write 7-10 articles an hour. Of course, they are from personal experience, and not well researched, but they still get paid for them. You're doing good at DMS, but you need to keep AC on the back burner, just in case. DMS is flaky lately, and they took a big hit from Panda (although they would never admit it). That's basically why they quit the WCP and took down all the old articles. I don't feel confident in making a living there forever, so I'm definitely looking elsewhere and to build up some residual income.
DSAldridge

Postby raggedyann » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 pm

I've been doing alright with AC/Yahoo.

I've spent a lot of time the past few days loading up my old Suite articles, since Suite has now taken them down. I am simply AMAZED at how many hits they are getting since loading them onto AC. I had them saved in Word, so the loadup was easy and I only checked my links etc. Whereas I was getting less than 50 hits most days at Suite, they are getting hundreds now and I have only loaded up about 2/3 since some of it was really seasonal.

Learned my lesson. I only write under a pen name, loaded them under display only, did not even put a pic on them since it is optional there.

Its still only pocket change--but much better pocket change--and much more predictable than Suite pocket change. Also, the uploader is easier than before, IMHO. Those of you that have 300 or more should do pretty good. I am pleased so far--and they have been up just a couple or so days. So if yours have been taken down at S101 then consider placing them at AC.

AC was my first dive into content writing back in 09, and I am finding it ironic that I am there again, at least a little portion of each day. Although I don't get upfront money for Display Only, I can delete or edit anything at any time, and can still out them on a blog. I was a FW for a time and made $15 per back then, but did not apply when they changed over to Yahoo.

Of course it does not pay the bills, but I just like the easy breezy freedom over there at times when I just want to pound something out. A little rainy day money.
raggedyann

PreviousNext

Return to TEs - Give them hell