Help: How to Remove a Redirect Virus?

General chat about whatever. Maybe we can bring back the awesome that was the Suite101 forum networking and advice we had in past years.

Moderator: Britney Spears

Help: How to Remove a Redirect Virus?

Postby PatsyStone » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Completely OT but... maybe someone here knows more about this than I do. I have a weird redirect virus/trojan on my laptop, what happens is: I open Internet Explorer, search for whatever on Bing or Google but get directed to random websites, mainly Gomeo but a few others, and once some sort of an adult/dating site. I've downloaded Spybot but it doesn't seem to find it. Has anyone had it? What did you use to remove it? Is there a way to remove it manually? Sometimes when I look for anti-virus software I get redirected by the virus. Maybe someone here has had similar experiences? Help!
Thanks.
PatsyStone

Re: Help: How to Remove a Redirect Virus?

Postby BoredWriter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:54 pm

If you are on windows take a look at System32/drivers/etc/hosts

Is a file that helps a computer translate an URL into a real computer address. Often those viruses put entries there.

Microsoft Security Essentials is also very good, very free. You may be able to download it from your Windows Control panel.
BoredWriter

Re: Help: How to Remove a Redirect Virus?

Postby PatsyStone » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:39 am

Thanks! The host file was full of crap. I'm not sure if the redirect virus is completely gone but I've also now used Hitman Pro that seems to have removed some viruses, and I've just downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials. I think the virus was blocking the Microsoft download before because the scan wouldn't work properly, but I've now managed to do that. It might not have cleared the redirect, but at least some things work better now. I guess I'll see in a couple of days if I start to get redirected again. I've read lots of forums where people say they can't get rid of it with anything so I'm hoping for the best.
PatsyStone

Return to Anything Goes