What I Did Today Instead of Writing: Crazy Southern Stuff

General chat about whatever. Maybe we can bring back the awesome that was the Suite101 forum networking and advice we had in past years.

Moderator: Britney Spears

What I Did Today Instead of Writing: Crazy Southern Stuff

Postby raggedyann » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Okay, welcome to my world of North Georgia.

This afternoon about 5:35, my sister had been here watching my youngest while I shuffled my oldest to piano lessons in 104 degree heat. I don't like to put the youngest in a stifling car seat in these temps to just sit in it for 2 hours or so, and my sis volunteered to watch after her.

My sister left at 5:30 on the dot. My mother was coming over to see the kids on her way to prayer meeting (yes that is still the norm around these parts on Wednesday nights) and to bring them some goodies. She was due in about 15 minutes. So I did not shut my big front door so they could see and hear her arrive but I did latch the storm door. Then they settled down with PBS to wait on Grandma.

I went around the corner to get on the computer for the first time today and attempt to check my email. Within three minutes, my son comes running into the room, saying "Mama! There is a man at the door!"

So I ran (felt like in slow motion) to the door to find my 4 yr old singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to the glass latched storm door. When I came closer, I saw a 20 something guy standing there in orange swim trunks with big white flowers, a tank top undershirt and running shoes. I said through the glass "Can I help you?"

He replies, "Can I borrow some pliers?"

Looking past him, I could see that there was no car, etc. I said simply, "Noooo..."

And I shut my big ole wooden red front door. As I did so, he began screaming and cussing me, stomping about on my front porch, kicking stuff and generally going nutso.

I called 911. I saw him through another window finally descend my front porch steps and head to the neighbors and looking back at my house and cussing all the while. Soon (faster than expected) a deputy arrives and I go out to tell him what is going on.

Last time I saw the dude before the deputy arrived he was crossing the street to a vacant house that the owners cannot sell. They built another house down the street. Both are very expensive houses--and this one will not move so they put a for rent sign out but the rent is like $1300 a month. It is a big house.

I go back in my house and the deputy says he is going to check out the vacant house. I go back inside (hubby is on speaker phone listening to it all) and turn around and suddenly Mr. Orange Swim Trunks is back in my driveway and talking to the deputy. At this point my elderly mother arrives and she lingers about her car so she can hear it all (gotta love my mama).

He told the deputy he was asking me for pliers so he could cut the fence at the vacant house to get to a dog in the fenced back yard because it needed water. Yes, people--he was asking me for pliers so he could break into the neighbors.

So the deputy came up on my porch and asked me what I wanted to do. At this point a chick comes out of nowhere running up the street, yelling, "That's My Man! That's My Man!" Apparently she is Mr. Orange Swim Trunks' "woman" and the deputy has to order her back across the street.

So the deputy and Mr. Orange Swim Trunks and his woman adjourn across the street when I said that the owners should be notified of what he intended to do. As we know the owners personally, we called them and learned this whole crowd had been 'looking' at the house earlier in the morning, saying they might like to rent it, but of course did not have enough money. The owner knew they were suspicious when they did not want to leave and went through every cupboard and drawer and closet in the house, so he had taken a picture of their license plate. He told the deputy if anyone breaks in, it is that crowd. Another wild looking woman arrived to pick up the other two who were apparently on foot with no car.

So now hubby and I are taking shifts throughout the night to keep an eye out to make sure there is no retaliation. My mom overheard him telling his address to the deputy and it is a slummy neighborhood with bunches and bunches of riff raff.

I don't mean to sound prejudiced because mainly I am a good fair soul, but this is a white guy and gal who were just up to no good. The funny thing is, we used to live a few streets down from that rough neighborhood when we first married because that is all we could afford. It was eye opening for sure.

We bought this house and we work our arses off to pay for it. It is not Shangri-La by any stretch but we have an older ranch we have renovated extensively with DIY projects all on our own. We wanted the kids to be in a 'good neighborhood.' Seems like there isn't a good one anymore. This isn't the first time something like this has happened.

Just didn't think I would be up all night in this neighborhood fearing the retaliation of some good old Southern white trash. Don't get me wrong. I love good ole boys and have many redneck friends, but this kind is a different caliber--who'd soon as shoot you as to look at you. You know what I'm talking about. Illiterate Southern nuts. And today it reached 104 degrees and it makes them crazier. So the police did nothing, but they have been ordered to stay off our property.

Was planning to write tonite, but just can't. This is all I can write. So thanks for listening, my former Suiteeland friends. Gonna be a long night.
raggedyann

Re: What I Did Today Instead of Writing: Crazy Southern Stuf

Postby DSAldridge » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Being born and raised in SC, this is all too familiar to me. I moved into a sweet little house once with my kids and there was the cutest couple next door. They were fixing up the house and yard and were just so nice. One day, the cops came and took them away. Seems the house had been abandoned for years, and they were just squatting there. They falsified documents to get the utilities turned on, that's how they caught them, in an SCE&G audit. Well, off to jail they went, and all the neighbors got together and bailed them out. When they finally found the owner, he came and saw all the work they had done on the house and decided he wanted them to stay, so he rented it to them cheap and had the utilities put in his own name.

Then there was the cock-fighting ring, but that's another story.
DSAldridge

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:04 am

Wow, Raggedyann, you did the right thing not being "neighborly" to this guy. He was clearly up to no good.

You can never be too careful. So many home invasion robberies start when someone answers their door and responds with kindness to someone they don't know.

Maybe I've become jaded because of my job, but one of my biggest fears is carjacking. I've seen situations where some horrible carjackings have taken place in areas where you'd least expect it ("good" neighborhoods, out in the country, in the middle of a busy fast-food parking lot, in someone's own garage, etc.). So here's a little advice. Get in your car and lock your doors before you open your garage door. For women, when you stop at a gas station, take your credit or debit card out of your purse and leave everything else except your keys inside your car. Lock your door and pump your gas. If someone comes along to try to jack you, you can hose them down with gas and they won't have a chance to snatch your purse or get into your car. That will at least give you time to try and get away. ALWAYS keep your car doors locked when you're driving. Carjackings can happen at stop signs and traffic lights no matter where you are.

But if all else fails and someone gets to you, just give up the damn car. It's not worth it.
Kiuka Finnegan

Postby hopeful » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 am

DSAldridge wrote:Being born and raised in SC, this is all too familiar to me. I moved into a sweet little house once with my kids and there was the cutest couple next door. They were fixing up the house and yard and were just so nice. One day, the cops came and took them away. Seems the house had been abandoned for years, and they were just squatting there. They falsified documents to get the utilities turned on, that's how they caught them, in an SCE&G audit. Well, off to jail they went, and all the neighbors got together and bailed them out. When they finally found the owner, he came and saw all the work they had done on the house and decided he wanted them to stay, so he rented it to them cheap and had the utilities put in his own name.
Awww, Deb, that is the sweetest story. :)

As far as the nut in the swim trunks? I shudder to think of that happening. I don't even have a screen door to lock. If I open my door, anyone can shove themselves in. I REALLY need to get one of those sliding locks that allow you to open the door but keeps it from opening too far.
Suite101.com ~ Everything you never wanted to know :P
hopeful

Postby BoredWriter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:12 am

I have that feeling from movies and TV that americans live in houses with permanently open doors (or unlocked at least) and people just drop by.

I live in a big, bad city. I don't open the door unless I expect visitors or recognize the face in the small video thingy near the door button.

Paranoid, me? Naaah.
BoredWriter

Postby DSAldridge » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 am

I used to live in a very safe neighborhood in a pretty safe town, and I got into a bad habit of leaving my doors unlocked. It's a hard habit to break. Someone here told me that I need to even lock up my doors if I got the 30 feet to the dumpster, because someone will walk in while you are gone and steal stuff. I had my patio door unlocked the other day, and I went to the bathroom. I came back to find some young kid standing on my patio looking at my plants. It scared the shit outta me, but he was a horticulture student at UF and he was curious as to what some of my plants were. He lives two buildings away. I gave him some cuttings and starts and he was really happy, but what if he had been a thief, or worse yet, a rapist or murderer? I hate having to keep my doors locked when I'm inside, but I don't take any chances now.
DSAldridge

Postby BoredWriter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:44 am

I'd not leave my doors open unless I had two very dangerous and scary dogs instead of cats.

But even if I did, nobody would just enter to look at my plants, at least they'd knock first. It's extremely weird. I don't like strangers inviting themselves to my home, even if they are the loveliest strangers in the world!

The only place I know where people just walk in is in small villages, where mostly everybody is family or at least know each other well. Which is a bit disturbing sometimes but you forgive them because they usually just want to check that the city dwellers aren't having any trouble lighting up the fireplace :)
BoredWriter

Postby DSAldridge » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm

BoredWriter wrote:I'd not leave my doors open unless I had two very dangerous and scary dogs instead of cats.

But even if I did, nobody would just enter to look at my plants, at least they'd knock first. It's extremely weird. I don't like strangers inviting themselves to my home, even if they are the loveliest strangers in the world!

The only place I know where people just walk in is in small villages, where mostly everybody is family or at least know each other well. Which is a bit disturbing sometimes but you forgive them because they usually just want to check that the city dwellers aren't having any trouble lighting up the fireplace :)

My patio isn't enclosed. I live in an apartment, so he wasn't in the house.
DSAldridge

Postby BoredWriter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Oooh right :)

When I think Patio I think of enclosed open air space surrounded by home space. Even by apartments/flats. But enclosed and only accessible from within the flat, unlike gardens :)
BoredWriter

Return to Anything Goes