Update on Deb

General chat about whatever. Maybe we can bring back the awesome that was the Suite101 forum networking and advice we had in past years.

Moderator: Britney Spears

Update on Deb

Postby wannashootsomebody » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:44 am

They are keeping her in the hospital until they get her fever and heart rate back to normal, but she's awake and talking. She is so amazing. She called me (I live next door), and although she could not walk and could hardly talk, she managed to tell me to call 911 and tell them it was a thyroid storm, got me to get an icepack and put it on the back of her neck to cool the blood going to her brain, and told me where her meds were and how to give them to her. The doctors say she saved her own life. Her temperature was 105 when they got her to the hospital. They had to pack her in ice to get it down. People who don't like her just don't know her, and everything she has to do just to survive every day.

ETA: The hospital was amazing too! The ambulance called ahead that they had a thyroid storm (they know how serious it is) and they literally RAN pushing her into the ER and had the ice bed ready for her and drips already set up with meds and fluids. UNBELIEVABLE!
wannashootsomebody

Re: Update on Deb

Postby mostprobablies » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:57 am

Holy shit! 105? That's serious bizneeessss. It's good that you are a good neighbor. She's lucky to have you. Tell her to stay strong and feel better. I know how it is when you just never take a break to keep the cash flow incoming. Tell her that she nneeeeeeds to take a break though! Even if it's for an hour or something. She can't push herself too much. I'm assuming they got the fever down?
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby BoredWriter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:27 pm

Wow amazing that she could keep a clear head even on that circumstance :) Glad that she's on recovery and docs got everything under control. Acting up thyroids is a nasty thing, got some family members who need to be on meds for it but nothing ever so drastic :(

Now tell her to relax lots :)
BoredWriter

Postby wannashootsomebody » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:50 pm

MP, her temp is 100 now, and her heart rate is o.k. They just want the temp back down to normal for a few hours before they release her. The thing is, her normal body temp is around 97.8, not 98.6, so it's still pretty high. Doc says if she hadn't had the presence of mind to put that ice pack on her neck, she would probably have brain damage. She says she learned that from getting overheated running track in High School. I don't even own an ice pack! She has about 5 in her freezer.

It pisses me off, but doc says it's o.k. She has her laptop in the hospital, and she's writing articles for DMS. She's just worried about bills.
wannashootsomebody

Postby mostprobablies » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:14 pm

wannashootsomebody wrote:MP, her temp is 100 now, and her heart rate is o.k. They just want the temp back down to normal for a few hours before they release her. The thing is, her normal body temp is around 97.8, not 98.6, so it's still pretty high. Doc says if she hadn't had the presence of mind to put that ice pack on her neck, she would probably have brain damage. She says she learned that from getting overheated running track in High School. I don't even own an ice pack! She has about 5 in her freezer.

It pisses me off, but doc says it's o.k. She has her laptop in the hospital, and she's writing articles for DMS. She's just worried about bills.

Can't say I blame her. I'd be doing the same thing. Creditors don't care if you get sick. :(
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby wannashootsomebody » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:27 pm

mostprobablies wrote:
wannashootsomebody wrote:MP, her temp is 100 now, and her heart rate is o.k. They just want the temp back down to normal for a few hours before they release her. The thing is, her normal body temp is around 97.8, not 98.6, so it's still pretty high. Doc says if she hadn't had the presence of mind to put that ice pack on her neck, she would probably have brain damage. She says she learned that from getting overheated running track in High School. I don't even own an ice pack! She has about 5 in her freezer.

Can't say I blame her. I'd be doing the same thing. Creditors don't care if you get sick. :(

LOL! That's what she said. You two are too much alike, you know.
wannashootsomebody

Postby hopeful » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Glad to hear she's feeling better. That must have been scary. I remember my last stay in the hospital when my appendix burst. I spent my time watching the clock cause every 4 hours I got more pain meds. LOL
Suite101.com ~ Everything you never wanted to know :P
hopeful

Postby DrearyDays » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:47 am

So glad she's going to be okay!
DrearyDays

Postby raggedyann » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:47 am

Glad to hear you're doing better, Deb. Remember to get some rest.
raggedyann

Return to Anything Goes