Eyes on My Blog?

General chat about whatever. Maybe we can bring back the awesome that was the Suite101 forum networking and advice we had in past years.

Moderator: Britney Spears

Eyes on My Blog?

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm not a writer by profession. I belong to a different profession, but I have a blog where I post articles related to said profession. I'm not the most active blogger in the blogosphere, although I do try to post a couple of new and very well-researched original posts per month.

My question is: How do I go about getting more eyes on my blog? (I'm getting between 30 and 80 new visitors per day.)

I know some of you are pros. If you could offer your top 5 quick-and-dirty secrets for blog promotion, I would appreciate it!
Kiuka Finnegan

Re: Eyes on My Blog?

Postby mostprobablies » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:36 pm

How old is it? That's not too bad if it's a new blog. How many posts per month do you do? The best thing to do is update once a day. If you can't do that (I know that's rough), try to do as much as possible each week. At least once a week.

I take a real none-spammy approach. I'm not a big networking type person. I'd rather work with advertising.

Get backlinks. This is a tricky one. I create an experiment blog and this is what I did. I signed up for http://BloggerLinkUp.com/ and created an ad-blast that said I would provide a 350-400 word article in the tech related niche for free for an inline link. I had a ton of success. I had so many offers that I had to decline some bloggers. I wrote content for them, and I included my link. I did that with about 10 people. It's free and all you lose is your time. I got PR2 in the last update on the blog, so it did what I wanted.

You can also use blogads for advertising. You get an ad on a blogger's blog and depending on traffic/revenue, you can pay really cheap prices for 2 weeks ads. You can choose position/location and the type of blog you want to advertise on.

Join related forums and help people. I don't know what your niche is, but I help out on tech and SEO forums. I use my blog as a link (used to anyway...I am starting a new blog and I'm selling the other one, so I'm going to switch).

I'm very passive with promotion, so a lot of other people are more aggressive with FaceBook and Twitter. I'm not a fan of any of that, but for some people, it's successful.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:12 am

Oooh, thanks so much for all the great ideas, mostprobablies. I do need to try and update much more often. Lately, it has only been a couple of times per month due to my work schedule. I know that is not enough.

I really like your suggestion about getting backlinks.
Kiuka Finnegan

Postby mostprobablies » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 am

You could also post your site on FB if you haven't already. It won't help much with SEO, but it's good for traffic.

The entrepreneur FW at Suite101 made an awesome post on different stuff you can do to attract people, but I can't find it. She made probably one of the best I've seen, but it was posted maybe about a year ago. She mentioned giveaways, contests, stuff like that.
mostprobablies
Site Admin

Postby Kiuka Finnegan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks, MP! I will look for that post.
Kiuka Finnegan

Return to Anything Goes