So What Is This Place?

Place for the Water Cooler expats.

Moderators: archie, Britney Spears, realwicked

So What Is This Place?

Postby CoffeeLion » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:32 am

"MostProbablySuite101.com"...hmmm, is that like "DemandStudiosSucks.com"? I posted there a time or two!

How do I turn off the annoying red underlining spellchecker? I don't make spelling errors. Don't want to incur the wrath of Dro.

I see that Britney Spears is a moderator. Guess she found a new line of work.

Well, anyway...hi.
CoffeeLion

Re: So What Is This Place?

Postby realwicked » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:38 am

CoffeeLion wrote:"MostProbablySuite101.com"...hmmm, is that like "DemandStudiosSucks.com"? I posted there a time or two!

How do I turn off the annoying red underlining spellchecker? I don't make spelling errors. Don't want to incur the wrath of Dro.

Well, anyway...hi.

OH MY GOD! HI!!!!! The spell check thingy might be your browser. Are you using Fire Fox?
realwicked

Postby CoffeeLion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:18 pm

realwicked wrote:
CoffeeLion wrote:"MostProbablySuite101.com"...hmmm, is that like "DemandStudiosSucks.com"? I posted there a time or two!

Well, anyway...hi.

OH MY GOD! HI!!!!! The spell check thingy might be your browser. Are you using Fire Fox?

No, I was on Chrome at the time. Probably that was it. Underlined the website URLs as though they were spelling errors.

MistyManners told me a few weeks ago about AOL boards shutting down -- I hadn't known about it; hadn't gotten on AOL boards in awhile -- and while reading posts of the last days at the WC I ran across the link you posted to this board. Thought I'd pop in.

Seems like I saw Misty somewhere here....if you read this, sorry I've been Scrabble absent lately. Just occupied with other things and not much FB time. But this weekend I plan to play lots of Scrabble!

Misty and I play Scrabble on FB. She's better at it than I am.
CoffeeLion

Postby realwicked » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 am

I used to play scrabble with the girls but they stopped notifying you where you could see it when it was your turn
realwicked

Postby realwicked » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:57 am

I used to play scrabble with the girls but they stopped notifying you where you could see it when it was your turn
realwicked

Postby mistymanners » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 pm

I've been getting my butt kicked in Scrabble the past 2 weeks! You can only do so much when you keep getting crappy letters! I figured you were busy...we have to catch up. Tim's Mom died on the 11th. Finally...poor woman's been dying for 5 years.
mistymanners

Postby CoffeeLion » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Sorry to hear about Tim's Mom. I remember you saying she'd been very ill. Still it's hard to lose a parent.
CoffeeLion

Postby archie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Well, anyway...hi.

LOL CoffeeLion, I made a ton of money on DMS. No shit you wrote there? That's crazy. Small world for sure. Who were you on DSS? I'm there too. You probably know who I am, too. hahaha That's so crazy.
archie

Postby CoffeeLion » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:03 pm

I think I literally only posted about 3 times on DSS, using this same name, CoffeeLion. I read there a lot more than I posted. It was about a year ago. I do recall that a couple of the posters sounded a lot like you or RW, lol.

I wrote for DMS for a couple of months; something to do during the nasty blizzards we had on the east coast last winter. Then I went to visit family in Oklahoma during most of the month of April, and when I got back was busy with other things. By the time I signed back on again in the summer, all the assignments had vanished, lol. Do you still write there? I don't have the qualifications they want for any of the special areas, and though I probably could fake my way onto one or two of them, I'd end up spending too much time on the articles.

I got approved to write for Interact Media, but it's going to be hard to make myself write enough crap for shit money in order to maybe get some clients and assignments that pay more.
CoffeeLion

Postby archie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:20 pm

The one who sounded like RW was probably me. LOL!!! Wow, what a small world.

I stopped writing there late January. I was in the Tech section and made a ton of money. I was one of the ones that got in automatically when it began, and tech was awesome for a while. They are basically closing shop soon anyway, so you aren't missing anything. No titles and the editors left are horrible. It was great while it lasted at least in tech. I had a system down and yeah, the stuff I churned out was horrible, but I figured it wasn't worth doing any effort for something that could get rejected or sent back for an impossible rewrite. If I churned it out in 10-15 mins, it would be no love lost if it got rejected or sent back. I'm a software developer by trade, and I would get rejections or impossible rewrites in my field from CEs who were flat out wrong about things, so it was truly annoying at the end. From about April to August things were great, but they did a global invite for several writers and CEs back in September, and things just went to shit.

We have a DMS dead pool going, and the going guess right now is March when the site finally cuts writers and editors except for special sections.

Content farms are dead, but I made a lot of money while it lasted. Sucks that it's gone, but I'm glad to be back into programming. I was so burnt out on these crappy article places.

So yeah, this place got started when Suite101 got hit by panda for quality issues and started being butts to their writers. This place was started and is mostly run by me to handle my rage. lol Then, we had the idea to open a forum for others to rage, and voila here we are. It's been around for about a year now.

There are several writing places around, but most pay like dirt. I now do it on the side for extra money but went back to work for programming.
archie

Return to The Water Cooler